SEARCH

Saturday, April 6, 2019

My Son the Waiter, A Jewish Tragedy at the Bickford

The uproarious comedy of Brad Zimmerman
May 2nd through May 5th

“In Jewish tradition, the fetus is not considered viable until it graduates from medical school.”
(Morristown, NJ) – Being a comedian is no joke. Ask Brad Zimmerman who spent 29 years waiting tables in New York City while chasing a career in acting and comedy. Brad brings the story of his tumultuous struggle to fulfill his dream and ‘make it’ as a comedic actor in New York City to the Bickford Theatre at the Morris Museum for six performances beginning May 2, 2019 through May 5, 2019.  My Son the Waiter: A Jewish Tragedy is one part standup, one part theatrical, and all parts uproarious. Just add seltzer.
Brad Zimmerman, “the world’s most successful Jewish waiter,” spins tangy tales of his pursuit of fame, along with stories about his childhood, family and misbegotten love life,
“If I had to sum up my love life so far on a scale from 1 to 10, I would give it a 2. Want to know what bumped it up to a 2? So do I.”
The late, great Joan Rivers said, “I’ve had three great opening acts in my lifetime: Billy Crystal, Garry Shandling and Brad Zimmerman.” That’s good company. Brad performs all over the US in a variety of venues working with comedians and entertainers such as Brad Garrett, Dennis Miller, Susie Essman, Julio Iglesias and the late George Carlin. If you’re a fan of The Sopranos, you may remember him as Johnny Sack’s lawyer.
Zimmerman worked on the script for My Son the Waiter: A Jewish Tragedy for nine years and performed it in small venues all over the country, including a stint at Stage Door Theatre in Margate, Florida where it came to the attention of producers Dana Matthow and Philip Roy (Respect: A Musical Journey of Women, Old Jews Telling Jokes, My Mother’s Italian, My Father’s Jewish & I’m in Therapy). Since then My Son the Waiter: A Jewish Tragedy spent two years at Off Broadway’s Stage 72 at the Triad Theatre in New York, and has toured the USA from coast to coast.
Press for My Son the Waiter, A Jewish Tragedy
“Delicious! Distinctly original… powerfully poignant.” “Great Comedy!” ~ The New York Times
“A Must See. It’s Hysterical, Heartfelt, Timely and Poignant. I cried, I laughed, I forgot where I parked.” ~ Brad Garrett (Everybody Loves Raymond)
 “Like Billy Crystal’s 700 Sundays.” - Jewish Week
“This is easily the funniest show to hit an off-Broadway stage since ‘Old Jews Telling Jokes.’ What makes this SUPERIOR is that it isn’t just jokes. It’s a life.” ~ The Jewish Daily Forward
“HILARIOUS! The humor is universal!” ~ San Diego Union Tribune
“AN ABSOLUTE MUST-SEE! You’ll laugh and you’ll walk out of the theater with a lesson: If you can find something that you truly love, it gives your life meaning. ~ Palm Beach Arts Paper

Performances:
Thursday, May 2, 2:00PM
Thursday, May 2, 7:30PM (Meet Brad Zimmerman after the performance)
Friday, May 3, 8:00PM
Saturday, May 4, 2:00PM
Saturday, May 4, 8:00PM
Sunday, May 5, 2:00PM

Tickets for My Son the Waiter, A Jewish Tragedy are $35 for Morris Museum Members, $45 for Non-Members, $40 for seniors and $25 for Students. All seats are reserved. Tickets may be purchased online at morrismuseum.org/theatre, by phone at (973) 971-3706, or in person at the Morris Museum. The Morris Museum’s Bickford Theatre is located at 6 Normandy Heights Road in Morristown, NJ, and offers free parking and full accessibility. Box office hours for phone sales are Monday through Friday, 10:00am to 5:00pm. Walk-up hours for ticket purchases are during the Museum’s normal operating hours.
About the Morris Museum

Founded in 1913, the Morris Museum is an award-winning, community-based arts and cultural institution serving the public through its exhibitions in the arts, sciences and humanities.  The Museum is home to the historic and internationally-significant Murtogh D. Guinness Collection of Mechanical Musical Instruments and Automata.  Changing exhibits of contemporary content also explore the Guinness themes of art, sound, and motion.  The adjacent Bickford Theatre is the museum's 312-seat performing-arts facility, offering unique programming, often related to the museum's exhibition themes.  Continuously serving the public since 1913, the Morris Museum has a proud tradition of innovative educational programs and family events.  The first museum in New Jersey to be accredited by the American Alliance of Museums, it has been designated a Major Arts Institution and has received the New Jersey State Council on the Arts’ Citation of Excellence, among other awards.

The Morris Museum is a Blue Star Museum, offering free Museum admission to active duty military personnel and their families, from Memorial Day to Labor Day.  The Morris Museum also offers free admission to military personnel all year long.

Location and Hours
The Museum is located at 6 Normandy Heights Road (at the corner of Columbia Turnpike) in Morristown, NJ, and is open Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday, 11:00 am to 5:00pm and Sunday, 12:00 to 5:00pm. In addition, the Museum is open evenings from 5:00 to 8:00pm on the second and third Thursday of the month. Admission to the Museum is $10 for adults and $7 for children, students and senior citizens. Admission is always free for Museum members.  For more information, call (973) 971-3700, or visit www.morrismuseum.org.

No comments: